6/13/13

Artful Conception #22: Carried Again!


Okay, we've done two posts already on this well worn theme.  The last one featured only images from Famous Monsters of Filmland which actually had the "monsters carrying chicks" theme featured in several issues.

In 2010, I did an Artful Conception post on the subject and became so overwhelmed with the sheer volume of images that I planted them all in a series of mosaics.  It was a great way to unload hundreds of "carrying" examples, but a bad way to present a post - each images was tiny, too small to appreciate.

In all seriousness, I could devote an entire blog to the subject, the image is repeated so many times in vintage pop culture.  So, where does that leave us? With thousands of examples without a home.  Maybe someday I'll put them all in a PDF (but my file sharing site has banned me for overloading their bandwidth); until then, here's the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Enjoy.




The Incredible Hulk was a common perpetrator of the carry.  You might say it was his thing.


But then, The Hulk was a lightweight in the art of the carry compared to The Man of Steel.  But then, there was a comic book hero who could surpass even Supes.  He went by the name Lonely Eagle...


Lonely Eagle carried the ladies so often, you begin to wonder if he's maybe doing it a bit too much, if you know what I mean.  I think he's so ripped because of the constant lifting.  You show me a super hot squaw, and I'll wager 10 to 1 Lonely Eagle's lifted her.





The carry was also a cheap way to get some cleavage action on your comic book cover.  I've done a couple posts on horror comic covers you may want to check out: 5/25/11 and 6/17/11

More carrying for the sake of cleavage


You'd be hard pressed to find an old Fotonovela that didn't have a carry somewhere in it.... often with a gratuitous upskirt.  The Spanish - the were big with the upskirts.

And speaking of the Spanish....


It wasn't just the fotonovelas that were packed with the carry concept; fumetti carried their fair share as well.  Sacrilegio!


The Brain that Wouldn't Die


I could throw a metric ton of paperback carries at you and only scratch the surface.  Now, carries involving  Erector Set Phantasm balls are bit more difficult to find.




Creature from the Haunted Sea (1963)


VHS cover for Sloane (1984).  If you've seen it, then you'll remember that he battles cannibal pygmies.  'Nuff said.


I'm still not sure what to do with female nudity when it's drawn or painted.  I know I'm not allowed to have photographic images, but what's the Blogger rule about colored pencil boobies?  Better safe than sorry.

BTW this is from a VHS box; it's labeled Mädchen Mädchen Mädchen (Girls, Girls, Girls) but I'm not so sure that's the original name of the sleazy picture.


And speaking of sleaze, how about a little pancake carry?

Burn Witch, Burn (1962)


Who carried the ladies more - Frankenstein's Monster or Dracula? My vote definitely will have to go with The Count.




Detail from the VHS box for Human Error (1988).  Note: the tagline won't make sense because I had to remove a nasty neon video rental sticker. The full text should read: "He designed the ultimate nuclear home. To test it, they decided to kill his family..."


Christopher Lee as The Brides of Fu Manchu.  I can buy Lee as Dracula, Saruman, and Count Dooku.... but Fu Manchu was a stretch.

And speaking of stretch (I'm big on segues today); this post is stretching a bit too long.  Stay tuned, though - there's plenty more where these came from.


12 comments:

  1. I always joke with my son about the "Damsel in Distress" in sci-fi movies..

    They always:
    1) Scream
    2) Run backwards
    3) Fall down.
    Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJune 14, 2013

      Not to mention 4) "pound" on a locked door with the palm of their hand.

      Delete
    2. 5) After shooting or stabbing the attacker, drop weapon, turn your back to him and cry. There's no way he's not dead, right?

      Delete
    3. HAH!

      Or spend 10 minutes explaining why you're going to kill him, giving him time to foil your dastardly plan!

      Delete
  2. I love the Classic Carry scene! I'm going to check out your earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sloan looks like Billy Zapka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Zapka. No one played a high-school douche better than him. Only James Spader came close.

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJune 13, 2013

    Have there been any where the woman is carrying a man? Maybe Wonder Woman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one in The Simpsons - a silhouette emerging from a burning building turns out to be a policewoman carrying (pending ex-boyfriend) Mister Burns.

      Delete
  5. So today the new Sup... I mean Man Of Steel movie goes into general release here in the U.S. I got to say that Amy Adams looks a lot more like Lana Lang than her actual role of playing Lois Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Another superhero struggling with inner demons, count me out. I like my heroes kicking ass and taking names, not wrestling with personal issues.

      Delete
  6. Monje Loco (The Insane Monk) was part of the inspiration for Mexican comedian Eugeno Derbez's character Lonje Moco. It is also an update of Ernie Kovacs' Auntie Gruesome. The name of the Derbez character translates loosely as "long mucus."

    ReplyDelete