3/25/13

Vinyl Dynamite #47: Pop Abroad


When I found this, I closed my eyes and kept repeating to myself, "This isn't real - it's only a bad dream.  This isn't real - it's only a bad dream..." But when I opened my eyes it was still there.

Eventually, I had to come to terms with the fact that I and this record inhabit the same world.  Somehow, I must learn to accept its presence on Earth, coexist with it.... perhaps even make peace with it.

Put the needle in the groove for yourself. Press play, and learn to live harmony with Israeli Disco Fever.

Side A - Israeli Disco Fever




The remaining vinyl in this post won't have you questioning your sanity; however, don't let your guard down.  Music from across the pond is often an acquired taste.  We 'muricans can handle a Liverpudlian accent - but that's as far as it goes.  You start throwin' in foreign vocab and broken English, and things get dicey.  Proceed with care.


Luv' - U O Me (1978)

Luv' never got much love from the States, but they were quite popular overseas.  They were Holland's musical export in answer to ABBA.  It was the magic combination of sex appeal and a corny song that works so well today, but didn't translate to big hits in the U.S. back in the seventies.





Luv' - Trojan Horse (1978)



"Microcosm" by Kameleon
"Omnibus Cactus" by Kameleon

I actually find this 1981 album quite fantastic and sinfully underplayed.  I love the way the early synthesizer sounded before it got 'upgraded' later in the decade.




Everybody loves "Little Green Bag" - it's that badass song you hear in the title sequence in Reservoir Dogs. Oddly enough, the George Baker Selection primarily put out cheesy Euro nuggets that are the very definition of "not badass".  George Baker was actually born Johannes Bouwens, and you can definitely detect the his Euro roots not so evident in "Little Green Bag". 


Earth and Fire - "Dream" (1981)


You're probably asking yourself - what happened to "Wind"?  The music of Earth and Fire has a lot more in common with ABBA than that 70s soul/funk band you're thinking of.  This is about as Caucasian as it gets.... and I love it. Sure, it's cheesy nonsense, but it's also a lot of fun.


What Kind of Dance Is This - Veronica Unlimited


Oh Boy by Brotherhood of Man


Brasilia Carnaval by Georgie Dann

I'm very fond of George Dann's vinyl covers.... not so much the vinyl itself, if you get my meaning.

And if you're partial to these overseas oddities, you'll want to check out some of the other foreign vinyl I've posted not oh so long ago...

Yugoslavian Vinyl  (and part II)


... and other Foreign Tracks  (and even more)


10 comments:

  1. Gilligan, after the Cosmic Cowboy, that Israeli Disco Fever is your greatest find yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Historic even. One small step for blog, one giant leap for blogosphere.

      Delete
  2. Nothing says disco like bales of hay and short shorts!
    The 'Luv cover with the ladies in men's shirts. Oh MY! one of my favorite looks on a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, settle down for the photo Iver! They look like so much fun. Their music sounds like a Communist regime forced-labor barn dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally love the cover of it and great sounds, you really found a Gem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Earth And Fire started as a psych group in 1969 but by the mid 70's they'd turned into the kind of garbage-funk you're depicting here. Jerney Kaagman has gone on into this decade as a "TV Presenter" and once posed nude at circa age 50.
    But Jerney, Mariska Veres...those little Dutch girls...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that Israeli Disco Fever album!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kameleon sounds like they were trying to be the B-52's to me. I dig the early synth sounds much more than today's modern synth sounds. I don't understand the lyrics but I kinda like it.

    The rest of the albums are too funny! I am a guy who likes disco but these are just too cheezy even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just... gosh, wow. I mean, yeah, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kameleon sounds more like Space/Italo Disco meets Flying Lizards/Rezillos meets Lovich/Hagen meets Plastic Bertand/Sparks meets Dollar/OMD/Lime.

    ReplyDelete