1/31/13

Cover Gallery #18: Cosmopolitan Magazine


I remember when I was in junior high and a friend of mine in the neighborhood showed me his dad's stash of skin magazines.  It was a basement full of Playboys and other softcore treasures that we proceeded to skim through for hours.  Needless to say, when his parents were away we would often return to that reservoir of smut.

But nothing NOTHING could have prepared me for my first encounter with Cosmo.  While Playboy showed boobs and other parts of the female anatomy, Cosmo talked about sex in a way that quite literally rocked my junior-high brain.  It was explicit, detailed, graphic..... insert any adjective you like, this stuff was the real deal.  Playboy was for ogling, Cosmo was for learning.

Typical article title: "Your Love Muscle - The Hidden Trigger to Unimagined Sexual Pleasures"

Of course, when you got into the hardcore stuff like Hustler or Penthouse, that was a whole different ballgame.  But that's neither here nor there. On with the Cosmo covers - 40 of them (and a special bonus cover at the end)!







































This last two are from National Lampoon and MAD. Their satire is better than I ever could say with words.




15 comments:

  1. The late 70s fashion fan in me was hoping for one of Gia Carangi's covers. These are amazing though! I wonder who that is on Dec '78?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. I'm pretty certain that June 1981 above is Gia. Google Gia Cosmo covers.

      L

      Delete
    2. No that's a then gorgeous Janice Dickenson :)

      Delete
  2. So, let me get this straight, these were the women's magazines that were telling women to be liberated and NOT be sex objects??? Could've fooled me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. Once again the first pic brings me back to Subliminal Seduction. I have got to find another copy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet compare them to their modern-day counterparts....recommendations of, and extracts from, new books...and only the occasional celebrity gossip come-on.....the text all the same standard font and size (it's only the ones from the eighties where this changes), and although plentiful, doesn't dominate the photo completely.


    cheers
    B Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. October 1982 is Ric Ocasek's wife Paulina Porizkova. She must've been only 17 when that photo was done and she still looks great today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, "Cosmo."

    I had one friend in the neighborhood who had access to "Playboy" (his older brother had a subscription); once we were caught looking at them, I was forbidden from going to his house. Fortunately, this was around the time my older sister started reading "Cosmo", so I was able to make the transition and not lose out on valuable puberty time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, is that Elle MacPherson with bangs in the silver and white swimsuit? I LOVED Cosmopolitan back in the day--and yes, it was very educational, and aimed at the hard-working, mature woman. Nowadays it's geared towards teenybopper girls and 20 somethings and is full of crap celebrity gossip and their fashion. The same could be said for Glamour. Two magazines whose former formats I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it me or do most of the women, esp near the top, have big noses?

    And wow, who was the girl in the MAD parody?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in the puritanical Midwest, Cosmopolitan magazine often had it's cover 'shielded' at the front checkout stands display rack, I still occasionally find it so censored in small-rural community grocery and drug stores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, saw Farah Fawcett (twice), Lauren Hutton, and Rene Russo (I used to have a regional department store catalog [Foley's] where Rene was modeling lingerie in the early 80's...wonder where it went?). and wonder of wonders, an actual nip slip (June '70) Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Farrah Fawcett-before and after Charlie's Angels

    ReplyDelete