4/26/12

Needlework a-Go Go #26: Sweaters Gone Wild


In the seventies, macrame unleashed millions of hanging planters upon our great nation.  And, in much the same way, the crocheting frenzy that persisted through the sixties on into the early eighties yielded an untold number of sweaters from sea to shining sea.

The sixties sweaters were mostly tasteful and even stylish; whereas, the seventies sweater creations often pushed the limits of good taste.  Far be it from me to critique the styles of the seventies - I happen to love them.  Instead, I'll let you be the judge.  Take a look at a variety of sweaters spanning three decades..... but beware of the dreaded 70s Sleeveless Sweater.  Don't say you weren't warned.

As usual, click on the images to enlarge.


Before we begin our journey, I'd like to be clear on what I mean by "sweater", and thereby avoid countless emails correcting me.  A sweater can be a sweater vest, a pullover sweater, or a sweater jacket.  In the seventies, there was a very popular fad called "shrink tops" or "body huggers".  They looked like tiny sweaters that were super tight..... these marvelous wonders will be explored in a separate post.


1-2

3-4

5-6
Boy, the eighties certainly saw the sweater make a comeback.  Girls wore long sweater dresses and guys rocked the Cosby sweaters - all were bold as hell.  Unfortunately, by then the do-it-yourself crochet sweater was long out of vogue.


7-8
Technically, you call the sweaters on the left shrink tops.  I like 'em 'cause they look like pot holders.

9
Am I reading into this picture too much, or does it look like the chick on the right is really into the chick on the left? Leave it to your old pal Gil to see hot lesbian action in a needlework pamphlet.

10-11
12-13

14-15
Chug it! Chug it! Chug it! Chug it! Wooooo hoooo!!!


16-17
The hair in the second picture is so horrific, you'd think it wasn't for real.  Actually, it's from a 1968 needlework booklet called "Irish Inspired Sweaters".


18-19

20-21

22-23

24-25

26-27
Now this is how a sweater vest should be worn.


28-29

30-31

32-33

34-35

36-37

38-39

40

41-42

43
Dammit, I'm getting that hot lesbian vibe again! I need help.


44-45
Okay, the frosted lens look is fine for showing sultry ladies - it gives it a sort of sexy seventies vibe.  Movies back then often used this technique during steamy lovemaking scenes...... and that's why the picture on the right just strikes me as wrong.


46-47

48
One of my all time favorites.  You would under no circumstances see a fashion model smoking a cig today.  Okay, maybe in Cosmo to show you exactly how shocking and edgy Cosmo is (gag); but never so nonchalantly as this... especially not in crochet leaflets.  I effing love it.


49-50

51-52

53-54

55

56

57-58

and I saved the best for last....


59

18 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you feel like scanning the instructions for the pink sweater in 43...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't suppose you feel like scanning the instructions for the pink sweater in 43...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your hunch regarding #9 is pretty spot on. I mean, they are holding golf equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize the golf course was a hotbed for lesbian activity. I thought that sort of thing was reserved for softball dugouts.

      Delete
  4. #17 looks lie it's out of a B-Grade Euro horror movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it is the influence of some recent TV commercials, but laughing women in #43 has me thinking "light bladder leakage."
    Is it just me or is the Eddy Arnold look-a-like in #47 holding the woman and little girl hostage? "If you don't let me sing 'Make The World Go Away,' I'll break the kids arm!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a note clutched in the woman's right hand that says simply "HELP"

      Delete
  6. I find it interesting that you have defined exactly what you do and don't mean in the last few posts. Those darned overly-specific definers getting to you?

    Love the post. Some great looks and some scary looks all in one post. What more could you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 47 reminded me of a crush from my youth: Cher Butler, PMOM August 85.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also making an appearance in a few of these, the 'Stache

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even a beer foam 'stache! (#14)

      Delete
  9. Is the girl in #33 actually a spastic?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Spastic"? Not very PC. I think I'd prefer to call her "horrifically retarded".

      Delete
  10. The header photo...when did Betty and Peggy get the time to knit their own sweaters?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gilligan, you act like seeing hot lesbian action everywhere is a BAD thing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweatastic stuff

    ReplyDelete