11/8/11

Twisted Impressions #11: Betty & Veronica

One thing that amazed me whilst looking through these old Archie comics is how quickly Dan DeCarlo would get Betty and Veronica naked - or damn close to it.  DeCarlo had a long illustrious history of drawing naughty cartoons for Playboy (and other adult publications), so I guess it shouldn't surprise me.  Plus, it was the seventies, and everybody seemed to be in some state of undress during that decade.

I've been accused of having an overactive libido when it comes to retro-observations; and I'll agree that I have, on occasion, put a sexual spin on something when it wasn't there. However, I don't think that is the case today.  There's somethin' sexual goin' on in my 1970s Archie comics that I heretofore had not acknowledged.


Exhibit A: A perponderance of shower scenes and locker room scenes.  I mean, I understand the comic is about two fashion conscious chicks, so you'd expect there to be panels where they are changing clothes... but good Lord, if ever something deserved a "Twisted Impressions" post, this is it!

Archie's Girls: Betty & Veronica Issue 228 December 1974 - basically the whole story involves the two girls getting undressed and lathering up in showers. If I was a 10 year old boy getting a hold of this comic, there's no telling what would happen next.  Let's just say, you wouldn't want that comic back and leave it at that.


Ah, yes. A good soak in a hot tub. Is this the beginning of a late night movie on Cinemax? Nope. It's an Archie comic complete with a disrobing Veronica.

Oh, look. Veronica is topless, and Betty is taking her top off too. I'm sure it's critical to the storyline.

In this issue, Veronica isn't hitting the hot tub; she's stripping down to take a nice cool bath. Isn't that special.

More bath scenes. These girls were clean.

This may look innocent enough. But to a boy in junior high in the 1970s, this is wonderfully filthy.

Betty Cooper in bra and panties. DeCarlo was the master. Convinced yet?


Two more with B & V in their underwear.  I don't know which is more distressing, that DeCarlo put so much cheesecake in Archie comics... or that I actually have these in a collection.  Please don't answer that.


Only a guy could have come up with the plot to this issue - Veronica tears her miniskirt, must discretely hide her exposure with the help of Betty, and then change in the locker room.

Up next are some panels that don't necessarily have B & V half naked, but nonetheless will raise some eyebrows. DeCarlo must surely have chuckled when illustrating the following panels...

The look on those lifeguards' faces says it all. 
Great Odin's Raven! I am rendered speechless.

Ye gods! What did these two just do?

Ummmmm. The less said about this one the better.

No. Actually, it looks kinda like a dick.

I wonder what Archie is thinking about.  Hmmmm.

Stop asking stupid questions, Archie.

She's talkin' about the tickets, Mr. Weatherbee. Get your mind out of the gutter. Get it together man!!

Strange sensation? Is Veronica's dad sporting wood-- ? I think it's best if we stop here before things start taking a dark turn. It's been fun - I hope I haven't tainted Archie comics for you in the future.


13 comments:

  1. MORE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a girl, I see the constant dressing and undressing differently. I always considered Betty and Veronica as an extension of my Barbies. Most of the fun of playing with dolls is dressing and undressing them.

    Oh, and the Barbie's natural state is usually naked with unbrushed hair.

    All of this is entirely NOT sexual for me. It was just another form of play when I was a kid.

    Since the Archie comics were written for girls, I think you're just letting your libido interpret them differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems miles away from my Christian Archie comics, which were also in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! But personally I think that the grand majority of these images are innocent. It's only with today's prudish attitudes towards nudity in any form that these comics seem to have a sexy slant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on this one, Gilligan. When I was a wee lad Veronica always made me feel "funny."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is as good a time as any to ask where the Veronica "EEK!" panel in your header comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a teen in the 70's, along with my Superman and Batman comics, I would also check out the latest Archie comics to see if they had any "interesting" parts dealing with Betty and Veronica in various states of undress. Most of the time I could always find one to take home amongst my superhero comics. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And just remember, prior to the end of 2010 every single one of the issues you just saw illustrated were approved by the Comics Code Authority! In fact, I was just reading that the decision by Archie Comics to drop the code was what finally killed it. If there ever was a company that excelled in getting stuff in under the radar, it was Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got an old Archie comic where he and Betty have the car break down and spend the night in a motel. Some very racy stuff in those old mags... Betty's dad comes into the room while she's in a towel and Archie is buckling his belt... no, no, it's not what you think, Archie's car ended up in a lake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DeCarlo loved to sneak bondage in for the Archie gals as well. That would be an interesting post. I used to have an issue of Archie Pals N' Gals where both B&V were abducted by a "mad scientist", and chained up in the dudes BASEMENT. Not his evil laboratory... basement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about just showing them naked? Cmon, we're grownups already! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJuly 04, 2012

    I remember one where a miniskirted Midge is sitting on Reggie's lap in a park. Moose confronts them and Reggie explains that Midge's coach advised her to take 5 "laps" a day...

    ReplyDelete