12/14/09

Yuletide Grooves #5: Swedish Xmas Throwdown



I found this odd little gem over at Jil Igen, a Swedish Christmas music blog. There, I learned that this Thore Skogman character was quite the celeb in Sweden and has written over a thousand songs.  However, what intrigued me about this album wasn't really the music - I don't know Swedish, so it all sounds fairly nodescript. It was the glorious cover.

What the hell is going on here? This is perhaps the strangest album cover I've seen in a long, long time.  The title of the LP translates to "knock on the door".  Take a listen to the title track.


Download the song here.
According to Wikipedia, "Fröken Fräken" (literally: Miss Freckle) was his biggest hit.  Hmmm. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Well, before I go, I'd like to leave you with one more piece of Christmas in Sweden. God Jul!


4 comments:

  1. I think I need to spend a Christmas in Sweden!

    Though, I might avoid men brandishing sausages with a manic glint in their eyes if I see any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of the christmas music my mom played when I was a kid. My grandparents immigrated from Sweden and they held on a lot of the traditions from the old world (including Santa Lucia day and Lutefisk, yuck!)

    I remember a song called "Nu Ar Det Jil Igen" (I'm not sure on the spelling) we used to sing it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to bring back some memories, Atom Kid.

    Rickard, that's a good general rule of thumb you don't read in the Swedish travel books - beware of men brandishing sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beppe Wolgers is a dead ringer for NYT editorial columnist Ross Douthat! (I spend far too much of my day on Wonkette.)

    ReplyDelete